Friday, July 15, 2011

The Cabino

Erin enjoying a 'clown sundae' in Dorset.

I was very lucky to spend two long weekends in a row in the beginning of July at the cabin (affectionately referred to as 'the cabino'). Fran and my nieces were up, along with my parents, for an extended stay before she took off on their big move out west this week (sniff, sniff). We had a stretch of absolutely gorgeous weather, perfect for beach time, pontoon rides, etc. Here are some highlights:


The many faces of baby Nora. I got plenty of quality baby cuddle time. I'm going to miss this little peanut! She'll be huge by the time I see her in October.

Why do kids think it's fun to play in laundry baskets? Erin decided that wearing the basket on your head made you Santa Claus. Mom - I thought you may not want that picture online. Am I right?

Erin and I discovered that the sunnies prefer wheat bread over hot dog buns, graham crackers and other assorted goodies we tossed to them. The heron who often fishes from our dock is likely grateful for the newly fattened up fish.

We had a bonfire, complete with my mom's greatest idea ever... peanut butter s'mores! I didn't think you could even improve the 'double double' s'more - it already contains 1/2 a bar of Hershey's, and two golden brown mallows. Add a little peanut butter, and you'll think you've gone to heaven!

The girls were troopers in their not-so-comfy looking life jackets for a pontoon ride.

sisterly love.

Erin's favorite cabin activity: playing at the beach! We made pies, spaghetti, tea, and many other creations out of sand. I even overcame my fear of leaches when I yanked one off of Erin while trying to pull off not letting her know I am terrified of them :)

I am impressed by how comfortable in the water Erin became during our time at the cabin. The first few days she wasn't interested in going into the lake much past her knees, and wanted to mostly play in the sand. By the end of the trip, she wanted to go swim in the "very deep water" with Riley and Tom.

Tom came up with me for the 2nd weekend, and we had a great evening pontoon ride one night. The sunset was picture perfect, the weather was great, and the beer was cold. Perfection.

No comments: