Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"Do you think the dog will fit in this bag?"

I'm not sure how these questions find their way in to Tom's head... but that was what he asked, right before he loaded the pup into a backpack, and wore her around the living room. Surprisingly, she didn't seem to mind.



He may have been thinking of backpacks because it was FINALLY Riley's first day of school today. She started puppy class at the Animal Humane Society in Golden Valley, right down the street from us. We meant to have her start long ago, but between her sickness, vaccines, and me being at camp for three weeks, she just started tonight. I wasn't able to go with her - I had staff training for day camp. Tom took her to class, and said she did pretty well. There was another pup named Riley who was starting tonight, so they stuck together. Apparently, we had the superior Riley. She was used as an example several times by the trainer, and even wrestled a rottweiler during playtime. I'm excited to bring her to class next week!

In other news, Riley is turning in to a cuddly pup. When she's tired out, she will tolerate snuggling on the couch or in bed. So far, Tom seems to enjoy this more than I do (somehow, I can't help thinking about the dirt, mud, and urine she rolls in frequently...)

I still can't believe how big she's getting! She weighed in at 33 lbs yesterday, and she's almost 4 months old. I realized that being gone at camp for three weeks means that I've missed out on nearly a third of her life with us! I'm glad to be back in our routine of two nice walks a day... I'm sure it will all switch up again once nannying and subbing start!

Riley went in to the vet for her last round of puppy boosters yesterday. She was a champ - she ate her treats and had no idea there were needles poking her. We also had the blood work done that she needs before we can get her spayed. It all came back great, so it looks like she'll go under the knife in early September. I'm looking forward to getting her micro chipped at the same time.

That's all for now - I'll leave you with a funny pic!

Love,
Laura and Riley

No comments: